Help Identifying These Oyster Mushrooms!

Z-Unit22

Hey so I found all these today in Eastern Pa growing in a pile of sticks and logs in the woods near a creek. They we're all growing close to each other so they could all be the same except for the late fall oyster. Just differing in looks due to water content and maturity I guess? The forest is mostly oak birch and pine I think. I can identify one as the late fall oyster and possibly another as a regular oyster. I am not sure about the rest. Please help me out! Thanks

IMG_20221113_163501914.jpg

IMG_20221113_163508354.jpg

IMG_20221113_163512636.jpg

IMG_20221113_163515034.jpg

IMG_20221113_163517514.jpg

IMG_20221113_163519834.jpg

IMG_20221113_163559168.jpg

IMG_20221113_163605937.jpg

IMG_20221113_163612835.jpg

IMG_20221113_163615751.jpg

IMG_20221113_163619217.jpg

IMG_20221113_163621234.jpg

IMG_20221113_163632214.jpg

IMG_20221113_163637202.jpg

IMG_20221113_163642391.jpg

In PA the most common late-season species of Pleurotus is P. ostreatus. Except for the one that's gray, these look to be more white than the typical P. ostreatus. P. pulmonarius is a mainly summer species that's basically pure white. Maybe the ones seen here are partly P. pulmonarius and P. ostreatus? Prior to the recently plummeting temperatures here in PA it had been well above average for awhile. So, maybe this brought on a fruiting of P. pulmonarius? Reports vary on any possible differences in spore print color for these two species, so I don't think it's a dependable way to differentiate. The only way to be reasonably certain is to examine/measure spores (using a microscope). The spores of P. pulmonarius are longer and wider that those of P. ostreatus.

By "late fall oyster" do you mean the species Sarcomyxa serotina? The gray ones may be this species, but to me they look more like P. ostreatus. 

Another species to keep in mind is Pleurocybella porrigens, aks "Angel Wings." This type is always white and grows on conifer wood. The gills tend to be shallower and more closely spaced than Pleurotus. Also, Angel Wings have thinner flesh. Some older field guides recommend them as an edible. But, an incident in Japan when several people (older folks with compromised health) died after consuming P. porrigens has caused authors to recommend not consuming this species. 

Yes, Panellus Serotinus. I am using a field guide from 1981. You don't think it is a Late Fall oyster? The green ones that are all bunched up like they sell them at the grocery store a lot. I guess it could be Pleurotos ostreatus too. The little ones looked like they might be angel wings. Could I have oysters, late fall oyster and angel wings all growing together here? That wouldn't of been a great snack if I chose to eat them. Although some people seem to eat angel wings with no problems. I am good on trying it out for myself.

In the first photo the darker ones look to be gray. But, if they are actually green, then Sarcomyxa serotina (Panellus serotinus) is a good possibility. I think it's quite possible for Pleurotus and Sarcomyxa to grow from the same log. But, I would not also expect Pleurocybella porrigens (Anger Wings) on the same log a s Pleurotus. Pleurotus is rarely reported as growing on conifer wood, and I believe that Pleurocybella occurs strictly on conifer. 

A microscopic analysis of the spores would settle any such questions. The three genera mentioned above have different ranges of spore dimensions. 

I need a microscope. I did a spore print on the greyish-green ones and it came back white. I also really need to learn my trees better. That seems like the best way to id these oysters. There was a bunch of little black beatles in them too so I know thats a good sign. Do the beatles also eat and live in Pleurocybella porrigens? I couldn't find much on this online.