Will recent rain after a drought save fall mushroom hunting?

Foulhook

Northeast PA had a pretty bad drought this summer. I have been here 20 years and never seen a drought like this one. After morel season I literally saw zero mushrooms this year. What are the chances this last 4 days of heavy rain will save the fall season? We went from a dessert to a rice patty in 4 days. Sump pump is still running this morning. 

LOL! That’s the truth! Dry, dry then tons of rain. We had 4” here over the last 3 days. Other than some oysters, a few cotw I’ve had no luck. Nothing has been growing. Was out yesterday and…..nothing.

We had drought in North West Ontario last year. There were zero Chanterelles and other mid summer mushrooms.

It started to rain in mid August. There was massive numbers of Boletes and Lobster mushrooms that sprung up within two weeks and continued until frosts. It was wild. Many people said they had never seem so many mushrooms before. Daily harvests of 10-15 pounds dominated by King Boletes was common.

Maybe, hopefully, you will experience what we did last year.

98% PORCINI.JPG

4 hours ago, JOHNY said:

We had drought in North West Ontario last year. There were zero Chanterelles and other mid summer mushrooms.

It started to rain in mid August. There was massive numbers of Boletes and Lobster mushrooms that sprung up within two weeks and continued until frosts. It was wild. Many people said they had never seem so many mushrooms before. Daily harvests of 10-15 pounds dominated by King Boletes was common.

Maybe, hopefully, you will experience what we did last year.

98% PORCINI.JPG

Wow! Saying a prayer for the same thing to happen here! Impressive haul 

6 hours ago, bprzyw said:

LOL! That’s the truth! Dry, dry then tons of rain. We had 4” here over the last 3 days. Other than some oysters, a few cotw I’ve had no luck. Nothing has been growing. Was out yesterday and…..nothing.

I stand corrected. I did find some chickens recently. Other than that absolutely nothing. Hoping for consistent weekly rain. Maybe we’ll get lucky

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve been getting some rain here in central PA.  Lots of stuff popping up later in the year than we normally find it.  

Two of us took a walk at one of the state parks yesterday and found all sorts of stuff - 3 hens, spotted boletes, painted suillius, hedgehogs, gilled boletes, and much more.  

The ironic thing is that just last week I showed our Central PA club president how to ID Boletus seperans.  That’s who I was hunting with yesterday.  Here is what we also found:

08020366-0392-40DA-8C53-B8C10B0084A4.thumb.jpeg.9004f4c58cdc356977059c19e9ae1d4b.jpeg

9 hours ago, JOHNY said:

Give us an update please. I'm interested to know if your rain after drought  had any effect on mushrooms

I wish I could say things exploded but that’s certainly not the case in NEPA. I haven’t found anything desirable. Hoping for a better season next year. 

8 hours ago, Kevin Hoover said:

We’ve been getting some rain here in central PA.  Lots of stuff popping up later in the year than we normally find it.  

Two of us took a walk at one of the state parks yesterday and found all sorts of stuff - 3 hens, spotted boletes, painted suillius, hedgehogs, gilled boletes, and much more.  

The ironic thing is that just last week I showed our Central PA club president how to ID Boletus seperans.  That’s who I was hunting with yesterday.  Here is what we also found:

08020366-0392-40DA-8C53-B8C10B0084A4.thumb.jpeg.9004f4c58cdc356977059c19e9ae1d4b.jpeg

Very nice haul Kevin! I’m very jealous. I normally harvest about 5 lbs of lilac bolete (Seperans) in my yard. Have some white pine spots normally loaded with painted suillius and zero this year. Same thing with honeys, hens, chants, etc. nothing! Worst year ever for me 

21 hours ago, troutddicted said:

Strange for me here. Last year ( Im in central-ish Ontario ) we had no rain, then came the rains followed by big flushes.  This year it was sort of dry, rains came but the flushes never did.  I was convinced it would be a banger year again… such is the life of a mushroom.

Same here in North West Ontario. Two years of drought followed by rain ++ starting mid August last year. Lots of rain last fall. Huge snow depth last winter. Lots of rain this spring and summer.

But:  zero Morels this spring. Huge numbers of Chanterelles mid summer. Almost no boletes of any species all summer and fall. No saffron milk caps, no shaggy manes.

Weird.

Hoping for Blewits and Hedgehogs soon

I have nothing. My mother in law passed two weeks ago, then I had a seizure and to top it off my dad is end stage bladder cancer. So I have not really been out in two weeks.

Kevin, that’s a great haul! Hope it keeps up for you!

I think it’s been raining for 5 days.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, bprzyw said:

Thank you Kevin. It’s a rough patch right now. Everyone has to deal with at some point.

Went out yesterday for just a few hours. 4 perfect hens and plentiful honeys.. guess those last few days of rain finally paid off.