2 boletes need some input

shroomersue

I seem to always need some help identifying these guys in this genus. I think there are two types here, in the boletus edulis family me thinks.

Found in southwestern ontario under white pines mostly, they did not discolour when they were both cut in half.

The light coloured bumpy beige cap with slight streaking on stipes with no reticulation... boletus varipes maybe?

The red brown capped ones (biggest maturist one found, the cap was 7 inches - pic in situ) with some reticulation on stipes and olivaceous long tube pores... mature boletus edulis?

Your input greatly appreciated.

post-205-0-04583600-1411789579_thumb.jpgpost-205-0-95081000-1411789622_thumb.jpgpost-205-0-41820700-1411789648_thumb.jpgpost-205-0-38401800-1411789675_thumb.jpg

B. variipes is a (mainly) hardwood associate that usually shows prominent reticuations on the stalk.

I think the light colored ones may be Boletus separans (= Xanthoconium separans). This species is mainly a hardwood associate, but it also occurs under conifers. I have found large fruitings under hemlock. A drop of ammonia on the cap of B. separans should turn dark blue-green. (Chemical reactions don't always register.)

The reddish ones may also be B. separans. But I think they may represent a species closer to B. edulis, maybe B. chippewaensis.

Actually, they may all be B. chippewaensis. These types of species distinctions can be difficult, especially for post-mature specimens. All these types are excellent edibles, but for preparing fresh ones young firm specimens are best. young or old ones may be sliced and dried for use in soups or sauces. I remove the tube layer from mature specimens before preparing/dehydrating.

B. clavipes is another name that may apply, except this one favors hardwoods.