Oyster or angel wings?

Jenny W

What is the type of wood these are growing on? "Angel Wings" (ie. Pleurocybella porrigens) grows on conifer wood. I *think* these are Pleurotus (Angel Wings), but knowing the type of wood increases confidence in this ID. 

I'm very new to this and didn't really pay close enough attention to the type of tree.  Just from reading this forum, I see it can be a huge factor in figuring these out.  I'll just assume at this point they're angel wings...better safe than sorry. 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:53 AM, Dave W said:

I *think* these are Pleurotus (Angel Wings)

Whoops.  I think you messed up while writing or possibly editing your comment.  It comes across like you're saying that Angel Wings are Pleurotus.   

I know that you know the difference, and you even stated as much earlier in your post.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:02 AM, Calvert said:

Whoops.  I think you messed up while writing or possibly editing your comment.  It comes across like you're saying that Angel Wings are Pleurotus.   

I know that you know the difference, and you even stated as much earlier in your post.

Yes, thanks Calvert. It was a mistake. I meant to write, "...Pleurotus (Oyster Mushrooms)." 

I'm not sure about that tree bark... could be either conifer or hardwood, maybe a type of maple. I have heard that Pleurotus can infrequently be found on conifer wood. The mushrooms look like Oyster Mushrooms to me. 

ID of a tree by bark alone is difficult.

In my part of the world, Red Pine has bark that can fissure and the peel into pieces like shown in the pictures. But it is distinctively Reddish-Brown.

Our Red Maples exist at the northern limit of their natural range. "Middle aged" Red Maples in northwest Ontario can have fissured peeling bark like shown and usually grey like in the pic.

On the other hand, those mushrooms look like true Oysters. Angel wings are usually so thin that light shines through easily

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 8:02 PM, Kevin Hoover said:

I tend to ID most trees by looking at the bark.

Interesting.  I can identify most conifer species by the bark (to the genus), but have a terrible time with hardwoods.  I worked as a forestry technician but that was in the north where most deciduous species were absent.  So yeah, come to think of it, I was able to recognize the common species (Spruce, Fir, Pine, Birch, Aspen, Alder, Cherry) by the bark during that time.  But now that I live more south with more diversity, it's much harder.  Ash are pretty easy to recognize, and Beech too of course,  but I constantly have a problem differentiating between maple and oak until I look at the leaves.