Are these edible?

Addam

First, what species is called "leatherback mushroom"? I've never before heard this name.

This is possibly Laetiporus persicinus, a species I have not ever found. So, I'm not highly confident in this ID proposal. According to Michael Kuo, Laetiporus persicinus is a species that probably belongs in a different genus. 

Perhaps also consider Meripilus sumstinei, the "Black-staining Polypore" (although the uniformly creamy color would be unusual for this species). If correct, then if you rub the marginal area of a frond it should darken within 30 minutes.

I don't think this is Bondarzewia berkeleyi (Berkeley's Polypore). Although fruit bodies of this species start out as lumpy masses, once the fronds/shelves are expanded the surface becomes smoother than what is seen here. 

Apologize as it’s probably a slang term I picked up from a WVU classmate.  I asked the same friend and he confirmed it’s not a ‘leatherback’ or lactifluus volemus but he did say they fruit this time of year.

The mushroom was found at my Lynchburg VA home, woody area on a stump near a water overflow, and I now believe it may be a ‘black-staining polypore’ or meripilus sumstinei although still not 100% positive. Will research some more tomorrow with my field guides but haven’t seen gills, or lack there of, in my findings thus far.  Will let these mushrooms Rest In Peace as if any doubt, leave them to dry out.

Have been foraging morels for years but just started growing oyster mushrooms although I still consider myself a novice.  Thanks for the reply Dave.  Much appreciated. 

I think it looks like a Laetiporus cincinnatus that is getting old and the bright colours are beginning to fade.  That would be consistent with it's white pore surface and growth on the ground.  Were there Oaks nearby?

I'm not familiar with Laetiporus persicinus, but looking at it's description/photos I would expect it to be more brown on the cap than what you found which is more of a faded orange.

I've never heard of "Leatherback" mushroom before either.   Must be a local term, like many common names are.