What do I have here?

TheWind81

First post and very excited to be here. My wife and I moved to the woods 2 years ago and have been living in a camper while building a house over that time.  My parents purchased this propery a little over 40 years ago and the neighbors have been deer hunting, ginseng hunting and shroom hunting here for decades.  We have been too busy building so we haven't had much time yet to enjoy the fruits of the land.  Last year we had an explosion of smooth chanterelles that were impossible to miss and absolutely littered the forest floor. We collected and cooked them up and thus started our shroom journey. 

Pictured is something that I would almost describe as a white chanterelle.  It has the same offset stem and wavy profile.  It was growing directly from a fallen tree.  Southest Indiana. Forest of Poplar, Beech, Maple, Red Oak, White Oak, Walnut (A bunch of dead Ash).  I want to eat it.

20220626_083624.jpg

20220626_083650.jpg

My first guess when seeing these photos was "Lentinus levis". But the stem is not hairy and the gill edges appear to be somewhat jagged (sawtooth/serrated), which would be incorrect for L. levis (unless the appearance is due to something munching on it which looks like it may have been the case). The same things apply to the very similar Pleurotus dryinus. Other species of Pleurotus have softer flesh (this one looks kinda resilient). Neolentinus lepideus is similar and has serrated gills but grows on conifer wood, usually pine. .