Amanita ?

bobby b

These Amanitas were at the base of an oak, small, large bulb, a delicate partial veil. Including the bulb the large individual was 3 inches tall. The smooth ?hyaline spores were 7.6 x 7.2µ making the Q 1.05, so almost round. I'm thinking the provisional Amanita subvelatipes. ??            https://mushroomobserver.org/494491

Amanita 6 17 22K (2).jpg

Amanita 6 17 22N gills scraped cap cuticle.jpg

20220617_130644 (2).jpg

20220617_130349.jpg

20220617_125926.jpg

20220617_125723.jpg

A. subvelatipes ( and the similar A. velatipes) has a "rolled sock" basal volva. This may also be described as a rim encircling the top of the basal bulb. Sometimes I describe it as an abrupt margin. The basal volval on these looks more uneven and membranous-limbate (meaning portions/patches reach up along the lower stipe. The bulbs look more globose than I'd expect for velatipes/subvelatipes. The spores of velatipes/subvelatipes are larger and closer to ellipsoid (larger Q) than the spores seen here. 

These cap are unexpanded, so it's difficult to tell if the expanded ones will have striate margins. Young caps of velatipes/subvelatipes are difficult to assess as striate/nonstriate. 

I'm guessing you are correct the three all represent the same species, based upon size/stature. Is that largest one as pale as it looks in the third photo down (first one showing the mushrooms)? Dos it have the same type of globose basal bulb? The very white appearance looks like a Destroying Angel. A. bisporigera can be small/slender (it's the smallest of the DAs). But, I suspect the one seen here is a pale version of the same species as the more pigmented ones. 

I think the first thing we would like to know is whether or not the spores are amyloid. It would be good to know this for each of the three, as it's not completely clear to me these all represent the same species. This would require the use of Melzer's reagent, which is very difficult to obtain. I think these may be either A, solaniolens or one of the A. lavendula species. The spore dimensions and small fruit bodies match A. solaniolens, although the pale caps would be unusual for this species. A. solaniolens/lavendula are housed in section Validae, amyloid spores. Also, DAs --section Phalloideae-- have amyloid spores. A. velatipes/subvelatipes are from section Amanita, inamyloid spores. These look like healthy specimens. A harvested amanita fruit body will often continue to expand, even if just left indoors atop a table. Seeing expanded caps would be helpful. Also, as the caps expand spores should be dropping. If you collect spores on a piece of wax paper  you can fold the pieces of wax paper and mail them to me. I could test spores for amyloidity. A substantial spore deposit is best for doing this. Send me a PM via WMH if interested. 

• 2 weeks later...

I received the sample yesterday. Dumped a bit of crushed material form a folded piece of wax paper, mounted in Melzers, and scoped. Spores are amyloid. Photo is taken through one eyepiece on my binocular scope. Viewed through my monocular scope --not as good but with reticle-- resolution was not quite good enough to tell the spores apart from the air bubbles. So --because I use photos through the mono scope to estimate measurements-- I don't have an update on dimensions.

Amyloid spores eliminates the possibility of A. velatipes/subvelatipes. Assuming all three mushrooms represent the same species --I think so-- this says the section represented is either Phalloideae or Validae. (Sections Amidella and Lepidella feature much different morphology). The pigmented one is almost certainly not an example of any species in Phalloideae. Of the paler ones, the smaller shows some pigmentation on the cap. The only pigmented-capped Phalloideae I know from PA are A. phalloides and A. sturgeonii, and the mushrooms pictured do not look like either of these species. So, it looks like section Validae. The small size is wrong for A. brunnescens/aestivalis. 

So, I think this leaves two possibilities, A. solaniolens and A. lavendula group. Small size and early-season occurrence favors A. solaniolens. The darkest one is very likely an example of this species. The pale ones could psossibly be one of the species grouped under the heading A. lavendula group (formerly A. citrina). These types have globose/subglobose basal bulb similar to the ones seen in the photos. The basal bulb of A. solaniolens varies from specimen to specimen. Examples with roundish bulb are not uncommon. The basal bulb of A. lavendula is usually somewhat spongy/squishy, like a marshmallow. 

An interesting thing in genus Amanita is that at least some species occasionally occur in albino form. I think these are all A. solaniolens. 

Amyloid Amanita spores bobbyb.JPG