Is Pressure Cooker Really Necessary to Sanitize Substrate?

mrSidX

The title asks the question.

I see many videos on preparing substrates for inoculation, and most [require?] a pressure cooker for what, 2 to 4 hours ?
Is this necessary as I don't have a pressure cooker on hand, and I really want to try growing, especially Lion's Mane.

I guess I'm asking,  Why the Pressure cooker vs baking in an oven? 

I'm guessing because it's in a bag, with steam, and higher pressure, vs in an open dry oven?

I don’t really know, but I’m not sure how the bag itself would hold up in the oven.  It might dry out too much, and would probably take a long time to heat the middle of the bag.

I sterilize bags for two hours in the pressure cooker.   Every commercial grower I’ve seen in videos uses an autoclave to sterilize their bags.

The key to lions mane is in establishing a moist environment once they start growing.   Here is a shot of the last bags I did.096D4AE1-D420-4F38-B873-9D9323FCDCA2.thumb.jpeg.b66c99cd4221cbb9c0afb72d589cad76.jpeg

Beautiful! 
I was thinking the same thing with oven situation, the bag and being dry.  Makes sense. 

I see you have a humidifier in the bottom of that plastic wrapped enclosure.

[Off Topic] I hope to make a computer controlled environment with humidity / temp sensors, humidifiers,  etc to automate ideal environments.  All being connected via monitoring system with maybe a webcam for viewing.

But I'm putting the cart before the horse, as I need a pressure cooker at least to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the feedback

Not only humidifier but also fan at the top to bring in fresh air.  The first lions manes I grew were deformed (grew upward and branched) because of CO2 buildup.  Look at North Spore’s system to give you an idea of the setup.

I know you are interested in lions mane, but chestnut mushrooms have also done well for me.

I normally put together eight bags at a time, as that uses up a five/5.5 pound bag of spawn.

Eight bags takes all day to cook, as I get two bags at a time in my pressure cooker.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I've never seen Chestnut Mushrooms in the store [nor the wild].
They look somewhat similar to another type 'cybe' I've seen.  I assume they are delicious as well.

I'm curious, what quart size is your pressure cooker?

Looks good!  You say the maintenance is similar to Lions Mane?

I found an interesting video on the YT about the OP question.
LOL though I was wondering if Mushroom cultivation topic was allowed on 'wildmushroomhunting.org'  .. I assume so!

I would love to hear feedback from the seasoned cultivators about these methods.  I hear corn doesn't do as well as the staple Rye based substrates.  Then there are amendments and dialing in the right environments for different strains etc... I'm sure those side topics are out there in another thread.

Can’t see a quart size listed on my pressure cooker.  But if it’s any help, the interior dimensions are 12.5” in diameter and 7.5” deep.   

This is one of my newest bags of chestnuts yesterday.  Have several bags flushing.73E3E98A-6A53-4725-8023-DF033296FFDC.thumb.jpeg.056108753f8a213fc1e31164e82ae2b2.jpeg

The oven will not sterilize the substrate properly.  It takes heat and pressure to completely sterilize anything that you want completely clean of germs bacteria etc.  I learned this when I was younger and apprenticing in a tattoo parlor.