Ticks!!

Deer ticks, or dog ticks? The deer ones are so tiny and hard to see. I never find one until it is attached. ohmy.gif I've had Lyme disease three times at least and pretty crippled up from it too, so be careful, everyone!

Last summer I had them on my legs twice.

A friend of mine tied a piece of sewing thread around it and pulled it off my leg.

The second time I got one, I had to go to hospital to have it pulled off. I was worried because a number of people had lost their lives because of the disease they'd caused. Fortunately mine were not of those types.

The ticks I've found so far were small dog ticks, not full grown. I used to think they were deer ticks until I found a few of them. Deer ticks are tiny. I've never had lyme disease, but I had Rocky Mountin Spotted Fever a few years ago. I asked my doctor to check for lyme and luckily he tested me for both.

We get Deer Ticks, Dog Ticks, and another very large type. The Deer and Dog Ticks seem to show up at about the same time of year. I've been vaccinated against Lyme disease, but it's only 90% effective. As far as I know, this is no longer available. I'm very careful. My wife and I use that stuff that you spray onto your clothing... forget the name... Pero-something-or-other. (Somebody will surely recall and post.) This stuff is toxic; so one needs to be cautious and follow instructions. But it seems to work. Also, after we return home from the woods, my wife and I check each other thoroughly for tick.

Permanone is the name of the tick repellent. Brand name is Repel.

Do you guys wear gaiters (bug out or others)? I think I got lymes disease this fall (I took an antibiotic course just in case) and I don't want to get it again. There are TONS of deer ticks around my home and in the woods where I go hunting mushrooms.

And I found the first one of the season yesterday afternoon, after working in the yard. Found it the same way, just as it bit me. It didn't attach. I seem to have become very sensitive to the bite, which is a good thing!