Lions Mane?

Tyrinion

It's my understanding that there are no toxic lions mane lookalikes. Just wanted to confirm that here before nom-nomming on it cooked in some butter. 

It was growing out of the bottom of some white oak I was cutting for firewood (that particular log still intact!)

Thanks! 

20220520_105953.jpg

20220520_105958.jpg

Yeah, there are no toxic look-alikes.  One of my favourite genera of mushrooms for eating.  I would definitely cut off the browning bits and eat the rest.  You should save the log it was growing on, and put it in a shady spot.  It'll hopefully grow again.

I've never actually found Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane).  Hericium coralloides is locally quite common and apparently the taste is similar.

edit: I now remember I did find erinaceus once.  But it was very young, and I didn't collect it for eating.