Growing beneath surface of golf course green.

Gizmo22

Have several dead spots showing up on a green at our golf course.  We cut out a couple of them to see what was beneath, and this is what we found. The dark spot on image 0604 is just poking through the surface.  I assume they would continue to grow above the surface if it wasn't on a golf green that is mowed every day.  

The best way I can describe the odor is "earthy", with maybe a bit of metallic smell, not unpleasant. 

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0603 3.jpeg

IMG_0604 2.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

That's really interesting! Last photo shows what appears to be the outline of a sectioned mushroom cap squeezed into the club-shaped entity. Not good proposal on an ID. The only things that comes to my mind are... 1. Lyophyllum decastes, a clustered mushroom sometimes found on lawns during spring; 2. a species of Coprinopsis, like maybe C. variegata or C. altramanteria. The darkening fruit bodies seen in the 3rd photo suggest these may be a type of "ink-cap mushroom." These types become black as they turn into a goopy black inky substance. This supports the Coprinopsis idea. 

If you end up observing additional details about these, I'd enjoy seen more photos.