trying to figure out what this is? ID

lemons

• lemons changed the title to trying to figure out what this is? ID
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 5:50 PM, Dave W said:

I had never heard of Tulosesus before.  From what I gather, it's an offshoot of Coprinellus, of species that somewhat more resemble Parasola?   

I usually differentiate Coprinellus and Parasola by the former having a universal veil.  Which isn't always easy, because Parasola sometimes has granular material ("pileal cystidial elements") that can resemble an universal veil.   It's not clear where Tulosesus falls into this.  Does it have an universal veil or not?  I'm assuming yes, because the species were previously in Coprinellus.  Or quite likely the answer is "maybe" or "sometimes".  There's not a lot of info for the layman on this new genus out there.

I understand why they need to keep mixing up the genera and creating new ones.  But I don't have to like it!  And to think at one point all the gilled mushrooms were just in Agaricus lol.

Yeah, Tulosesus is a new genus. Species seen on Index Fungorum are mostly authored in 2020   http://www.indexfungorum.org/Names/Names.asp . I'm also still trying to understand the distinguishing features for Tulosesus. I think you're probably on the right track, Calvin. Fruit bodies that more-or-less resemble Parasola but which feature universal veil, or at least some sort of deposit on the cap. I'm guessing some species housed in Parasola that feature deposits on the cap surface may end up being transferred to Tulosesus. For example,   https://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?trie=P&l=l&nom=Parasola auricoma / Coprin à tête dorée&tag=Parasola auricoma&gro=33 .