Chaga?

Azuresky

Doesn't exactly line up with what a chaga should look like but I can't find anything else that comes close. 

Unlike a typical chaga it only has the rough exterior on one side and it's very hard but I found it on a tree that was cut down within the last few months so maybe it's just dried out already?! Not sure of the tree specie but I know it wasn't a birch. 20220321_175503.thumb.jpg.dfc618d63b3edcc7d977e0d9c659542a.jpg20220321_175514.thumb.jpg.ab2db5d63f66272f96c511040bb8b527.jpg20220321_175456.thumb.jpg.d1178ef58f73b7d198eaccbb5b9026eb.jpg

Found in the mtns along the north and south carolina state line

Well I've narrowed it down to the Phellinus genus but I'm still no closer to figuring out what variety it is. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a hippie dippie , medicine man type guy so I like to know exactly what I have for future reference and also to know if theres anything that's stands out medicinally/therapeutically. If it helps, it's has a great, unique smell. Upfront it's earthy(as expected) but it has a feint smell of vanilla and spearmint. 

Yup, Phellinus or a related genus. Maybe P. robiniae  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/phellinus_robiniae.html  . P. tremulae also looks like a possibility. Knowing the type of tree is usually helpful for IDing species of Phellinus. 

I have read reports that say Chaga "usually grows on birch". But I have never seen a confirmed occurrence on anything other than birch.  I have only ever seen what I can confidently call Inonotus obliquus on birch.  I once found something similar on oak, a mystery of sorts  https://mushroomobserver.org/331170?q=1mchy .