Oysters?

Shroomeddy

These were growing out of a old stump that’s too rotten to identify the type of tree. They have a very strong earthy mushroom slightly anise smell to them by my nose definitely distinctive and strong. Spore print is white maybe with a tinge of buff to it. Spore print was left on the dashboard of the van as I left them on the dashboard overnight dashboard color is Ford grayish blue. My field guides lean me towards late season oysters. It did get below freezing the other night and was very windy so the very edges look freezer wind burn. 

46E19D3C-3BC7-4AE0-9961-A3DE022721C7.jpeg

38C94633-5A3E-45E4-9AB0-0A0BDAFBF962.jpeg

DBB61743-9952-40FF-AA01-B7F68267C382.jpeg

These look like Pleurotus ostreatus to me. This species is common during the fall and early winter, until it gets too cold. There's another species with common name "Late Fall Oyster" (sarcomyxa serotina) that's not related to Pleurotus. The ones seen here are not S. serotina. 

Thanks Dave I had checked my field guide and mushrooms demystified and everything seemed to check the box for oysters. There’s four or five more nice size baby flushes just starting on this stump there about the size of quarter’s now. In your experience Dave what seems to be too cold for them? The weather has dipped to the high 20’s and 30’s every other night and in the 40’s to 50’s during the day here and there still growing. I hope they keep going as there were several good size clusters way past there prime on the same stump and the new one’s starting. 

Not sure about the level of tolerance Pleurotus has for the cold. But, seeing as they can continue to fruit into the early winter --even up here in NE PA-- I think the mushrooms can probably freeze/thaw and continue to grow. I think that 40s-50s during the day may be warm enough for them to continue to expand. I'd be interested in hearing how those little ones of yours do during this cold period of weather. Up here the days are now staying below freezing and the nights are down into the teens and single-digit temps. It's over for awhile here. 

I thought it was over here too in the southern east coast area of Va. we haven’t found a mushroom for a month or two and bam I saw these guys and got all giggly!!! I will keep you posted on how long they go and how cold it gets here. Supposed to get pretty chilly here some nights getting below freezing and the days not much above freezing. I hope they keep growing as this stump is producing quite a few as there was several large clusters that were decomposing already. 

• 5 weeks later...

Dave a couple of days after posting the nights got down in the 20’s and the days just above freezing those little ones died. Then it snowed twice and that stayed on the ground for a few days. For the last five or six days the nights have been in the low 30’s and the days in the 40’s an 50’s. So I went and checked the stump there are seven nice size clusters that are growing. The individual mushrooms were about the size of a Oreo cookie 

I just saw two clumps of oysters (too far gone to pick) on a stump in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware last week. Pointed them out to my aunt who we were visiting and said “that’s the same type of mushroom I brought down to show you and just cooked for you”.   I had brought a bag of oysters I grew and a grow bag of fruiting chestnut mushrooms to show her.