Moshannon State Forest

bprzyw

Are you talking Moshannon State Forest or Black Moshannon State Park?

I hunt both at times, but I’ve never hunted chaga.  Both are close to me, and one of my wife’s relatives works as a ranger there.  

Our mushroom club had held meetings at the park in the past, and we have one scheduled there in October.

I’ve hunted mushrooms at Black Moshannon State Park, Parker Dam State Park, and S.B. Elliot State Park, all nice parks but I think Black Moshannon is the prettiest of the three.

We spend quite a bit of time in the Quehanna Wild Area, M K Goddard/Wykoff Run Natural Area and Marion Brooks Natural Area.  If you want to hunt chaga, I’d recommend the Marion Brooks area. There are trails all over those area.  Depends where we are, but we could be in Elk, Moshannon or Sproul State Forests.

We see elk pretty often when we are up there.

Sounds like a plan next year. I’ve never been to central Pa before. Guess I should get out and explore more. Not many state parks around here. Ever get an elk? That would be a treat! Snowing here, about 25 degrees out. My wife picked up an instant pot so I’ve been playing with that. It’s so incredible! My friend has been talking about his for two years. 4 t bones, 4 potatoes, bunch of asparagus, 20 minutes. Fall off the bone! Of course it takes about 10 minutes to get to pressure but set it up and walk away. Want to make some Hungarian wild mushroom soup with what I picked all year. I’ve gotta get out there with you! Lol. My finds here are limited to oysters, hens, honeys, cow, lions and their counterparts, puffballs, dryads. Never found anything else. Although I think I found some shaggy manes but need to check them out.

Be safe

Bernie

Bernie, where in NEPA do you reside? There's a club based in Luzerne/Lackawanna Counties, Wyoming Valley Mushroom Club. We have mushroom forays at local public lands.  Members are apt to not give up their personal favorite hot-spots. But, those who participate in our events end up learning quite a bit. Members bring mushrooms that they find to club meetings and we are often able to provide IDs and edibility assessment. We also have a facebook group (private; for WVMC club members), and reading the posts is a good way to get information about what people are finding around here.