What I’m growing now

I started six bags of poppino earlier.  Pressure cooker seal failed on the last two bags(I get 2 bags at a time into it).  They didn’t get cooked.   One of those is showing signs of infection but the others five are colonizing well. First time growing them.

On the day after Thanksgiving, I started 8 buckets of blue oysters on barley straw.   My plan is to start 6 to 8 buckets each month, about the same time each month, with the goal of being able to harvest oysters all year long. Figure they should start producing right after New Years.

Today I’m pressure cooking eight bags of masters mix.  Six done, last two in pressure cooker.  Will inoculate them tomorrow with chestnut mushrooms.  

Sometime before Christmas, I want to do eight bags of Lions Mane, and about February I need to get some oak logs to use up the bag of Shiitake that I have in the basement fridge.  Will do other bags of both lions mane and chestnut.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Over seven pounds of oysters so far. Should have a couple more bunches to pick over the weekend. Will see what develops out of the pins after that.

All seven of my chestnut bags produced nicely.  The poppinos, not so well, will not grow those again.

I never did get the lions mane started. Cooking 8 bags for that today.   Raining steadily here, so I thought it would be a good day for that.

One note, the hardwood sawdust I use is just what is generated from someone’s firewood cutting.  A friend rakes it up and gives it to me.

• 1 month later...

Chestnut mushrooms are finished and I got rid of those bags.  They produced two heavy flushes for me.  A nice crisp mushroom that stands up well in stir fries.

Oyster buckets continue to produce. Well over ten pounds so far.  Cooking and freezing or giving to friends those that I can’t eat for breakfast in omelets.

The eight bags of lions mane are now in the grow tent. Fruiting has started on three of the bags so far.  Will watch how fast they develop.

Harvested the rest of the first flush today. Gave two large clumps and two small clumps totaling about a pound to a friend this morning.  This is what was left that I harvested this afternoon.  Total on the flush was 8.7 pounds, about 1.1 pounds per bag.954AC761-D368-4ED2-9E30-91CCA3DE4DBC.thumb.jpeg.7f9a5f5ae8bf204377f9271e85c040a4.jpeg