Fairy Ring Mushroom? (Marasmius oreades)

SkitzoTP

image.thumb.jpg.0fb91c9b249d4bba291630b796f354bd.jpgI

I am 99% sure these are fairy Ring mushrooms. I live in a wet humid tropical climate, with a lot of sun. I found these growing in the shade on some mulchy soil. They produce a white spore print, and grew in a bunch together. The bottom is white with connecting gills that stain a brownish tan when injured. Thanks to anyone who could help! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

White spore print narrows things down to several hundred species... okay, an underestimate, probably thousands. Growing in a "bunch together" somewhat reduces the number of possibilities. Well, the "bunch together" seems to point away from Marasmius oreades, the "Fairy Ring Mushroom". You very likely have some other species, but I have no confident ID proposal. 

You need to get better photos of the mushrooms. Knowing only a few things about a collection is almost never enough info for a confident ID proposal. Sometimes a few photos can provide a good amount of useful info. But the photos of the mushroom caps under a glass seen here provide almost nothing that is useful. 

I’m fairly new to foraging and I really appreciate your help. I’ll get some better photos up soon. in the mean while, do you have any clue on what this could be? Sort of has an oily top and the stem is very brittle. Once again I took these photos in a little bit of a rush so sorry if it’s impossible to help. I have no other information on this mushroom since it was the only one growing.

89B4E9AC-0954-4710-A2A1-8FE1D056A90C.jpeg

E1263906-6F1F-4525-823F-CCD3258D293E.jpeg

On 11/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, Dave W said:

I think this white one is a species of Russula. If correct, then the stem should snap in half like a piece of chalk. 

Yes it does thanks so much!

These are a couple more photos i gathered. They were taken on a computer in the sun so its pretty crappy. on the old mound of mushrooms, A bunch of white fluffy stuff was growing. I torn on whether or not it was mycelium or mold, but I am leaning towards the ladder. The mushrooms are dried and old by now so there is not mush information in these photos. But if it can give me a little more info on the identification of these shroomies, than it is well worth it.

P.S Thanks for all your help Dave W!

webcamio (6).png

webcamio (2).png

webcamio (4).png

webcamio (1).png

Marasmius oreades is a good find. Tasty and strong but neutral flavor. The mushrooms in your pictures look old and are hard to ID. If i had to guess, i'd say they're not Marasmius oreades. If they are, they're likely past their prime.

Like Dave says, this clustered manner of growth isn't typical for the species.

None of the mushrooms seen in the photos are Marasmius oreades. Photos are not real clear, so proposing an ID is iffy. But, I think the ones seen in the most recently posted photos may be Marasmiellus luxurians (aka. Gymnopus luxurians, and actually recently changed to Collybiopsis luxurians). Said to taste bitter; should not be eaten. 

• 3 weeks later...