Cort maybe Blewit

Shroomeddy

Found three of these just off the edge of a grass field in the leaf litter around the edge of a big pile of sticks and small logs. They were 2 to 3 feet from the pile so not directly in or hugging the pile of sticks. Most of the tress around are large old oaks with a few pine saplings 3 to 5 feet tall so the area is pretty open on the forest floor. I have had them in my garage fridge for 2 days as I didn't have time to post. The edges of the cap, gills and stem were a lot more purpleish violet than in the pics now very pretty colored mushroom! Will do a spore print tonight and add response tomorrow on that. Has a very light pleasant mushroom smell to them found in Hampton,VA

IMG_20211108_122519969.jpg

IMG_20211108_122455032.jpg

IMG_20211108_122501185.jpg

IMG_20211108_122423474.jpg

IMG_20211108_122412730.jpg

IMG_20211108_122336982.jpg

I like blewits. I think they taste above average.  May be European variety is not the same. I never tasted one. May be it is similar to some lactarius sp when European taste better than similar US sp. This I can confirm from personal experience.

Different people seem to have different opinions regarding the edible qualities of Lepista nuda (and a few of the other similar species of Lepista). These have a fairly strong flavor that I like to "spread out". I make cream of mushroom soup with Blewits, and I have yet to offer it anyone who ended up not liking it. I also dice them and cook until the liquid evaporates, a preparation called duxelles. I use this in roasted-garlic mashed potatoes and stuffing for roast chicken.  

The mushrooms seen in this discussion look more like Lepista than Cortinarius. But, especially when one is first learning to ID Blewits, it's a good practice to take spore prints. Sometimes, a Cort will show rusty brown spores stuck to the remnants of the cortina (web-like partial veil) that collapses onto the stalk and catches the spores as they drop.