Another chanterelle?

Corvus

2 hours ago, troutddicted said:

A delicious lactarius, caps fried in oil, hard to beat.

Really?

Please tell me more about your L. deliciosus. I had gazillions of these at the farm this year after our drought ended.

But... I have heard they are morphologically identical to a European species but....Genetically different!!  Therefore not the same species, in spite of looking the same. I know one person who has eaten our local variant but he says they can taste slightly bitter especially older specimens.

Yes, the assumption was made.  I was not aware we had a look alike here in NA that had a different coloured milk - Every single one Ive found only had orange, ohhh the beautiful bright orange glow.

As for bitterness, I can’t taste any.  Everyone Ive introduced this mushroom to has enjoyed it.  I do prefer to pick younger specimens, perhaps the biggun’s take on a bitter taste?

There are some species of Lactarius that have orangish caps and white latex. Some of these taste bad and will likely cause indigestion/illness, for example L. psammicola. Also, there are Lactarius mushrooms that have white latex that turns yellow when exposed to the air. These types should not be eaten, some are listed as toxic. 

The species that produce orange-latex milk mushrooms are placed within the category Lactarius section Deliciosi. My understanding is the NA species are still not completely well-understood. Here in PA I find what I call Lactarius deterrimus (probably represents a group of related species). I find these under pine and spruce. This type generally stains green. Further north a non green-staining species L. thyinos is found. In the state of WA I once found a type that had scarlet latex. These types often contain a very small amount of latex. It is sometimes necessary to slice through the mushroom and gently press the cut flesh/gills against one's finger or a piece of paper in order to see the colorful latex. There are a few species of green-staining orangish mushrooms (and often also feature the color blue on the flesh/gills) that have dingy yellowish or brownish-orangish latex. These are L. chelidonium and L. paradoxus (not recemmended for eating). The edible orange-latex milkies have bright orange latex. The orange-latex Lactarius mushrooms of Europe are said to be of better quality that the NA ones. But, I find the ones I collect in PA/NY/VT to be of reasonably good quality.