Who's Got the Fever?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're almost here!! The crocus by our house is blooming and the dafodils have buds. Temps in the high 60s and low 70s this weekend and lows around 40 at night. We might start looking next weekend. Right now I want to scout for some new spots.

We stopped by our black site today to see if anything was starting to grow yet. No bloodroot or mayapples yet. Where we hunt the bloodroot blooming is usually the best indicator that the season is just starting and the small blacks are just poking out.

sure they have.....maybe your fever is getting to you??? I know I can't stand it right now. I want to go out hunting so bad right now.

You and me both ... I have to work today! We are having a battery backup serviced, and

it's taking longer than it should have. Tech can't find a :chigger:

Tomorrow, for SURE!

40's.... I wish it was that warm where I'm at. The next weeks forcast for Lewiston Mi. is a high of 25 and at night in the single didgets, with snow !!! This always happens though, two weeks ago it was almost in the 70's. Last year in May, we were picking Whites in 2 inches of snow.

2 inches of snow this morning, and another possibly larger amount forecast for Wednesday. But this is not a bad thing. Until the optimum start-up time arrives (mid April around here) it's best if the weather/ground stays cool and damp. Getting the warm-up at just the right time is where it's at!

You're so lucky... her there still 3 feet of snow... 0F this morning... still nearly 2 month before the first greens shot poke out... so enjoy your mushrooming... and get a little think about us in the North...

You're so lucky... her there still 3 feet of snow... 0F this morning... still nearly 2 month before the first greens shot poke out... so enjoy your mushrooming... and get a little think about us in the North...

Yes, we're got still a couple of feet, but it usually starts melting fast around now. We've already been able to collecti maple syrup a couple of sunny days the last week...

Guill, where are you in Quebec? How far north? I'm near Sherbrooke, which is North for most but about as far south you can go in Quebec!

Hi Calvert...

I'm in abitibi... I live on a land near Rouyn-Noranda... but right now I'm working in Waswanipi... between Quévillon and Chibaugamau... so nearly as far north as I can go by road... but not so bad... I'm still not to James Bay...

We keep getting rain every few days which should make for a great season. Low temps over the next week or so, though. It's going to be in the 20s at night. That's OK. The season just won't be early this year, more on regular schedule.

Hi Bill. I used to live on San Juan. I never did get the hang of finding morels there but I also didn't try that hard. I didn't know it was a good area to find morels. We used to find tons of Shaggy Manes in the fall.

Hi e

Eastern Wa

We use to go to San Juan Island When are kids where students and it was spring brake, the first week in April. We had good morel picking out toward lime kiln light house.

Bill in Blaine

Hi e

Eastern Wa

We use to go to San Juan Island When are kids where students and it was spring brake, the first week in April. We had good morel picking out toward lime kiln light house.

Bill in Blaine

Really? Isn't that mostly madrone trees? Those things grow in really poor/thin soil. But then, morels are constantly surprising me.

I wandered through the woods at work today. It's mostly poplar and wild cherry with some ash, oak and pines mixed in. Some of the poplars are pretty old. I think it will be a nice early spot. The mayapples were just starting to poke through where there is bare soil and the fiddleheads are just below the leaf litter. Here's a smiley from Harmony. :creepycrawly:

Somebody on Morels.com posted finding five blacks only a few miles from my house. I think we're going out Wed after work to see if we find a few early ones. We're expecting a thunderstorm tonight and it was 78 here today.