agaricus?

AlBo

Sorry that I dont have better pics. I will keep the mushroom intact in the future. Joining the board was an after thought after trying to identify this mushroom. I cut the stem to look for yellow bruising and also the cap. It bruises brown slightly as you can see. The smell is similar to Portobello, but I cannot describe it any better. It did not seem inky at all to me. The cap was about 5" in diameter. The stem broke off when I picked it. It appears that the gills were not attached to the stem. Any help with the ID would be great!!!

post-881-0-74353400-1410446053_thumb.jpg

post-881-0-33068600-1410446070_thumb.jpg

post-881-0-34576200-1410446086_thumb.jpg

post-881-0-05425000-1410446101_thumb.jpg

post-881-0-50443100-1410446123_thumb.jpg

it looks like an agaricus but some more information would be helpful. A spore print and type of environment where it was found along with whether it had a ring on the stem and an example of a younger specimen would help. Also what part of the country are you in?

John, I found it on the edge of a low maintenance road that goes through a field right near some hardwood bottoms. I am in North Dakota and the ground has been wet from recent rains. I did not see any others - no younger specimens. I believe it did have a ring. Notice the dark spot in the middle of the bottom picture. I will certainly do a better job of catching the specimen in its invironment. I did a spore print on that paper towel. It was rather weak (I was anxious).You may notice it in the 4th picture. It looked chocolate brown (same as gills).

THE GOOD NEW IS, I AM ACTUALLY IN THE HOSPITAL WITH MY WIFE AND 2ND BORN CHILD. SHE JUST GAVE BIRTH TODAY! JUST THOUGHT I SHOULD SHARE THE NEWS OF MY FIRST LITTLE GIRL!

I think with a post-mature specimen such as this one, getting a good species ID proposal is unlikely. For instance, this may be an example of Agaricus arvesis. But in this state the distinctive "cog-wheel" ring/partial veil associated with A. arvensis would have eroded. Also, older Agaricus mushrooms tend to have flesh that darkens a bit. So one may confuse the brownish tinge on the cut flesh with a true staining reaction. One agaricus that stains brownish is A. bernardii (which I doubt this one is). This one may also be a large example of a field agaricus, a species from the A. campestris group. There are also a few woodland species to consider... types which are most common in forest settings but may also appear in open areas.