Found in yard near spruce trees

Kevin Hoover

Any notable smell?

I'm thinking maybe one of the agaricus species that don't have a pink gill phase - A. augustus for example. It doesn't quite fit A. augustus because the cap isn't scaly

I'm very interested. Those dark spores on white detached gills are an unusual sight for me. The only mushrooms I can think of with dark spores on sometimes white gills are agaricus. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

The gills of this nearly mature mushroom are too pale for Agaricus. For the ones with gills that lack a pink stage, the young gills are pale grayish. Although the gills seen here have darkened edges, the faces of the gills are whitish. 

I think this is Leucoagaricus leucothites, a white-spored species  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/leucoagaricus_leucothites.html. However, white-spored mushrooms with partial veil (forms the ring on the stalk) and free gills (do not reach/touch the stalk) include some dangerously poisonous species of Amanita. 

8 hours ago, Dave W said:

The gills of this nearly mature mushroom are too pale for Agaricus. For the ones with gills that lack a pink stage, the young gills are pale grayish. Although the gills seen here have darkened edges, the faces of the gills are whitish. 

I think this is Leucoagaricus leucothites, a white-spored species  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/leucoagaricus_leucothites.html. However, white-spored mushrooms with partial veil (forms the ring on the stalk) and free gills (do not reach/touch the stalk) include some dangerously poisonous species of Amanita. 

I was thinking it looks like Leucoagaricus leucothites, but I can’t get past the dark edges of the gills.  There also looks like dark colored dust on the stipe, that I was attributing to spores, otherwise I would have dismissed the discoloration of the gills more easily.  What do you think is going on with the black/brown on the gill edges and on the stipe? Mold or something?

I haven't seen Macrolepiota excoriata reported as a North American species. Also, the cap surface is lacking in ornamentation (no prominent scales ). 

The stalk of Leucoagaricus leucothites often stains brown. From Mushroom Expert, "dry; bald; discoloring and bruising yellowish to brownish." The darkened gill edges is not a typical trait of L. leucothites. But, I don't think this is a dark-spored mushroom. The gill faces are still whitish. No confident explanation... maybe the discoloring that typically is seen on the stalk started to develop before the cap expanded and spread form the stalk to the gills...?