East Texas lurid bolete identification

freshlyminted

Hi there,

I live in Texas and have been seeing a lot of these "porcini" pop up after the rain. Being a huge fan of the way foraged mushrooms taste, I'd be really interested in finding out if these are indeed an edible species.

Characteristics
  • Found on lawns and mulch near live oaks and under garden shrubs.
  • The cap is a velvety, suede-brown and the rest of the mushroom is a lurid yellow
  • Most of the specimens I found are relatively young and retain a button-like appearance--uncertain what the mature cap would look like
  • The pores are small and dense, and the concavity of the cap makes it difficult to get a print
  • Netting found toward the top of the stem
  • No redness or color change at the base of the mushroom
  • Upon handling or slicing, the mushroom quickly bruises blue, which fades to an indigo-gray.
  • Marking the cap and the pores underneath produces blue bruising
  • The bruising is darker indigo at the base and the cap, with lighter bruising at the stem

After some digging, I suspect it might be Boletus luridellus (examples) or neoboletus pseudosulphureus. But the stem bases are not at all red, so I'd hate to eat them and find out that they are actually the poisonous Boletus huronensis.

👉🏼 Any suggestions for other tests I should do to be confident in my identification?

Thanks in advance!

Photos

image.png.b88d7434a808224c1062a8ca7ad8e200.png

image.thumb.png.e6e703a92840c02de90a792149b045a6.png

image.png.c78dd2def7b7d81cbd3a59fe4f778e22.png

image.png.79684ab3de9c5e2b1ce786de07b2ff07.png

image.thumb.png.9c525fe4b271ba9f7fe49b6a06c845dd.png

image.thumb.png.508f0d148d4936f5df57f83402b3f25c.png

image.thumb.png.0b93b1c59f410d339fb0355b7b6e3611.png

image.thumb.png.b201fdd3ab6293509139e3b22a402fc9.png

image.thumb.png.c3ab8913ef8970cbd5ee3bca9166c497.png

image.png.48a37efdfe549ea8105ebc311ae966da.png

image.thumb.png.6bf62fe3e8eb574bd39f7aafdb2cf14d.png  

This is a species I don't see here in Pennsylvania. Looking through several sources, I think Alessioporus rubriflavus is a possibility   https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alessioporus_rubriflavus_J.L._Frank,_A.R._Bessette_%26_A.E._Bessette_964074.jpg . Traits that appear to match the descriptions of A. rubriflavus are: cap/stipe colors, cap with "sterile margin" (flap along the margin) that is strongly inrolled in young specimens, reticulate stalk, blue staining. One thing that seems to not match really well is the very widely-spaced mesh (reticulation). Also, some photos of A. rubriflavus show a more prominent and complete staining of the sliced context. 

These photos are very good. They show key traits very well. Although the top of the stipe shows the most prominent reticulation (netting) the entire stalk is seen to be reticulate. The mesh becomes wider-spaced and less distinct on the lower portions of the stipe. Failure to produce a spore print is likely because these are immature; the pores have not yet fully opened/expanded. But, if you choose a specimen that shows the pore openings, then you have a better chance of getting a print.