mushroom that smells like fruity pebbles

foxfire900

found growing near beech + hemlocks in upstate new york. it was quite old when I found it and has begun to turn green, but it smells very strongly of fruity pebbles. spore print is pale yellowish/creamy/brown. its cup shape (which was more pronounced in an even older specimen) made me think some sort of clitocybe. 

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

Possibly Lactarius subpurpureus. To check this idea, slice into two pieces by cutting through the cap/gills. The context in cross-section where the gills transition into the rest of the cap should show a wine red color (at least a layer of such color). If you gently press a finger against the cut, then you should see a tiny bit of wine-red latex (liquid) on your finger.

Spore print being "brown" does not match L. subpurpureus. What type of surface did you use to collect the print?

I have found lactarius subpurpureus in that location before, but it did not occur to me to slice the mushroom shown in the photo open so I am not sure about the latex. I used white printer paper for the spore print. I'll attach a photo. Thank you Dave, I have learned so much in just a few short months from this forum and your very helpful comments! 

IMG_4021.JPG