blewit or cort?

Irina

We have many of the liilac corts  here that, somewhere I read, the Russians refer to as "goat stink." They are just beautiful.

But on a path yesterday I found the first thing I thought might actually be a blewit. Only one though,  sadly. Just enough to spore print.

Its irregular cap and short stubby stem seem blewity, but the spore print is a bit dark unfortunately. I need to print a lilac cort in comparison and see if it's rustier.

What do you think it might be? I guess I'm leaning cort right now.

IMG_5530.thumb.JPG.c1a753732f99d8de8928e2702185968d.JPG

IMG_5533.thumb.JPG.37f4f64920f6570474489281eb80b57a.JPG

IMG_5531.thumb.JPG.1ab1dfac3935f92fdf4a39e816b79754.JPG

IMG_5535.thumb.JPG.adb745ffbb2a7c4990467a4f9441495e.JPG

IMG_5532.JPG

On 10/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, Irina said:

We have many of the liilac corts  here that, somewhere I read, the Russians refer to as "goat stink." They are just beautiful.

But on a path yesterday I found the first thing I thought might actually be a blewit. Only one though,  sadly. Just enough to spore print.

Its irregular cap and short stubby stem seem blewity, but the spore print is a bit dark unfortunately. I need to print a lilac cort in comparison and see if it's rustier.

What do you think it might be? I guess I'm leaning cort right now.

IMG_5530.thumb.JPG.c1a753732f99d8de8928e2702185968d.JPG

IMG_5533.thumb.JPG.37f4f64920f6570474489281eb80b57a.JPG

IMG_5531.thumb.JPG.1ab1dfac3935f92fdf4a39e816b79754.JPG

IMG_5535.thumb.JPG.adb745ffbb2a7c4990467a4f9441495e.JPG

I recently did a spore print on a mushroom that I suspect was Lepista nuda that came out very similar. I think the confusing light brown color has to do with the paper absorbing some color from the mushroom and the true spore color is different.  The fact that your paper looks quite wet add a little credence to this idea.  If you can get a fresh sample, I recommend trying a print on foil.  I was not confident enough in the id when I got a print like this, and I didn’t have another sample.  

My print was even lighter brown than yours and had some white sections. I know mushrooms don’t have multiple spore colors, so the white parts must be closer to the true spore color, but I was still too nervous 

14 hours ago, JOHNY said:

The stem base with the attached mycelium is a better way to plant Blewits

I never ever heard of that technique until this forum, I can't wait to try it out. There's a thread on here somewhere I have bookmarked to read about it.

In this case I will have to find another blewit to try that, maybe in five years ... 

1 hour ago, Jeff Falcone said:

My print was even lighter brown than yours and had some white sections. I know mushrooms don’t have multiple spore colors, so the white parts must be closer to the true spore color, but I was still too nervous 

there is a lot of rust in this print, I can believe it doesn't look like a cort, but it would be more reassuring if the color was further away!

3 hours ago, Irina said:

I never ever heard of that technique until this forum, I can't wait to try it out. There's a thread on here somewhere I have bookmarked to read about it.

In this case I will have to find another blewit to try that, maybe in five years ... 

there is a lot of rust in this print, I can believe it doesn't look like a cort, but it would be more reassuring if the color was further away!

I'd feel exactly the same. 

This print is too light for Cortinarius. Corts have vividly rusty-brown spores. I have found that Lepista nuda spore print color varies from very pale to somewhat tannish. Not sure... but I think this may have something to do with the amount of moisture present in the mushroom while the spores are falling. The mushroom seen here looks like  Blewit, and I believe the print color is within the expected color range... although as pointed out, darker than the typical Blewit print. Looks like this print was taken on a piece of paper. Paper tends to draw moisture out of a printing mushroom. 

The "Blewit spore print" issue is n interesting one that I hope to investigate further. 

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

This print is too light for Cortinarius. Corts have vividly rusty-brown spores. I have found that Lepista nuda spore print color varies from very pale to somewhat tannish. Not sure... but I think this may have something to do with the amount of moisture present in the mushroom while the spores are falling. The mushroom seen here looks like  Blewit, and I believe the print color is within the expected color range... although as pointed out, darker than the typical Blewit print. Looks like this print was taken on a piece of paper. Paper tends to draw moisture out of a printing mushroom. 

The "Blewit spore print" issue is n interesting one that I hope to investigate further. 

Wonderful info Dave, thank you so much.

I dithered on what kind of paper to use for this. I thought aluminum foil might not show the color very well. Maybe coated white paper would be good when you're expecting a pinkish print.

Here's photos showing prints from pieces of 4 different Blewits collected about a week ago. Prints taken an a white plastic board with black plastic electrical tape strips.

First photo taken indoors under artificial light.  2078171361_LepistanudaSV11-16spprntABCDin.thumb.JPG.ad454bce90d7de0dddf00be2af2a1f10.JPG

Second photo taken outdoors (not in direct sunlight).  1498808021_LepistanudaSV11-16spprntABCDout.thumb.JPG.1b05a3ecb966dbd170e53d8954f2d7bb.JPG

Print from one mushroom appears to show an area on the board where some moisture got involved; print is a bit darker there. 1155729484_LepistanudaSV11-16spprnt2.thumb.JPG.f7a9fa971e5092a941a3dbf9fc017e92.JPG