BC, Canada Autumn mushrooms

Dizzy

Since joining this forum a month ago I've learned that positively ID'ing an Agaricus down to species is extremely difficult, therefore the experts recommend beginner mushroom enthusiasts do not collect any Agaricus-looking fungi for consumption.

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/agaricus.html  Here's some information regarding the Agaricus genus and identifying traits.

Also check out this page for tips on requesting an ID proposal. More detailed pictures are needed, as well as information regarding the habitat in which it was found, etc.

Thank you for your reply.

This mushroom was found in a wooded area with mixed cedar and deciduous trees. The spores are brown, gills are pink/brown, the cap is 7.5 cms and convex, the veil goes all the way round the stem but is broken up in places. This was a single mushroom found alone. I have one other picture attached. I am not going to eat it, I am just starting to try to learn about mushrooms in general.

20211017_162555.jpg

This does not look like Agaricus campestris, nor was it found in the usual habitat for that species, which is grassy fields.  In the woods the most common Agaricus in the southwestern mainland of BC is the toxic A. moelleri.  To be more certain of an ID, we need details such as staining reactions and odour.

This is not any of the species in the A. campestris group. The persistent felt-like ring and small scales that coalesce into a dark disc suggest Agaricus section Xanthodermatei. Often, but not always, these types have a slightly unpleasant phenol/chemical odor. Some of these types will cause illness if consumed.