Are these Honey Mushrooms?

alblueheron

They are growing out of a SIlver Maple stump - and running along the roots. All life stages from buttons (yellow) to shriveled (dark brown). These are taken in East Lyme, CT (going back to FL this week) so I would like to dry some and bring them back with me.

The primary reasons I am unsure about them is that they are larger than the honeys I love to eat (photos 103 and 106 for size comparison), and the stems are solid, not hollow. Everything else seems to fit.

Collecting here has been awesome this month - Chicken of the woods, Hen of the woods, and tons more.

P1040106.JPG

P1040099.JPG

P1040100.JPG

P1040101.JPG

P1040102.JPG

P1040103.JPG

P1040104.JPG

P1040105.JPG

P1040094.JPG

P1040095.JPG

I am new to mushrooming and have lots of these in my yard. Mine look exactly like those and after researching I believe I have  IDd them as Honey but I did a spore print which was white. Honeys have white spores. I just cooked and ate them so I'll know tomorrow ;)  They filled the pan with a tremendous amount of water so I let them simmer almost 15 minutes before they browned up. I laid them out whole like pancakes and flipped. The gills looked really cool when cooked.

I'm also rather new to mushrooming, but I'd almost guarantee they are honey mushrooms. Make sure to take a spore print first.

You have one picture with a more yellowish cluster of mushrooms, it may be the honey mushroom in it's early stages, but I believe best practice would be to wait until they are mature and have more distinctive markings if you're planning on eating them. 

The honey mushrooms I've gather have never been as large as the ones in picture one, so I might be extra careful in confirming those are the same mushrooms as the rest.

Not sure I’d want to eat anything growing that close to the road or sidewalks. Some mushrooms are known to absorb chemicals drained into the earth. Such as pesticides sprayed by the city and motor oils from the road way. Agaricus are well known for this. 

Looks like honeys though. Spore prints seem to show up very well on the more mature clusters 

The really old ones seen in the photos are possibly Armillaria (Honey Mushroom). But they're in such decrepit condition that it's difficult to say. Old beat-up decaying mushrooms should never be gathered as potential food. And, as mentioned, mushrooms growing in an area that may be subject to contamination should be avoided. 

The cluster of young unopened yellow caps looks like Armillaria mellea. Also, the large one seen in the last two photos looks like A. mellea (based upon the relative lack of hairs/scales on the cap surface). Other species of Armillaria have more ornamentation on the caps.