Unknown #8

djg

19 minutes ago, rbenn said:

A russula of some sort perhaps.

I don't think this is a Russula. The rolled in margin on a mature species would be unusual for a Russula as would the brown gills. My best guess is this is a Cortinarius species, but that is low confidence. I'm thinking cort because I think the brown gills might be from rust colored spores and I've seen a lot of corts that look similar with a bulbous stipe base and in-rolled margin and the brown markings on the stem look like possibly a "ring zone" created by collapsing cortina remnants. Also that gill attachment, while possible in Russula, isn't typical.

Curious why you say Russula? Your observations tend to be very astute and I'm wondering what you see that I don't.

10 hours ago, Jeff Falcone said:

I don't think this is a Russula. The rolled in margin on a mature species would be unusual for a Russula as would the brown gills. My best guess is this is a Cortinarius species, but that is low confidence. I'm thinking cort because I think the brown gills might be from rust colored spores and I've seen a lot of corts that look similar with a bulbous stipe base and in-rolled margin and the brown markings on the stem look like possibly a "ring zone" created by collapsing cortina remnants. Also that gill attachment, while possible in Russula, isn't typical.

Curious why you say Russula? Your observations tend to be very astute and I'm wondering what you see that I don't.

The cap color, the chip out of the cap making it look chalky, stem color. The purple around the gills definitely looked off to me, more like a Cortinarius. Just was a guess and I was just going off memory.

Looking at my book I would say C camphoratus is possible without any more info.

Looks like a brown spore print on the stalk surface, which suggests Cortinarius. Overall appearance also matches some of the large Cort species. Exact species? Good luck! Although this one has some rather distinctive morphology. Maybe something in the C. variecolor group?