American Parasol

rbenn

How wide is the cap? Looks like L. americanus, but the yellow staining gills seems unusual for this species. I'd feel more confident if the possibility of genus Lepiota could be eliminated. Does the flesh in the stem base stain when sliced? 

This one was about 5cm but I had seen one earlier this week about 12cm wide but didn't realize it was possibly a choice edible. I tossed it as it was drying out but hopefully another one pops up so I can check the stem. I also believe the spore sizes are completely different with Macrolepiota being bigger than Leucoagaricus, so that might be a good confirmation as well. 

I've got several large Leucoagaricus americanus popped up on my wood chip pile right now as well.

Well, as I thought I had two pop up due to the rain last night in the same place. Cap size on this one again is about 5cm. 

Spore print white.

Spore size: 8.75 - 9.61 x 6.29-7.03 in KOH.

Flesh in the stem seems to stay white in the middle and yellow around the edges, turned reddish brown over time.

Looks like I got Leucoagaricus americanus like you guys thought. Thankfully it is also a "choice edible" as well. Anyone eat these?

What's strange is my book calls out spore sizes 9-14 x 4-5 and Kuo lists 9-11 x 6-7. Funny how two reputable sources can be so different. Sometimes I find my book more accurate, other time Kuo. 

Initial stem cut

20211012_162911.thumb.jpg.adbf637d2eaab8076387010408a3bb07.jpg

Capture.JPG

L. americanus is possible. But, I'd be suspicious of the ones that are only 5 cm wide or smaller when fully expanded. There are some nasty Lepiota species that have small caps. Spores look right for L. americanus; good match for Michael Kuo's photo. 

Do these all eventually stain reddish-brown (possibly quite slowly)?

3 hours ago, Dave W said:

L. americanus is possible. But, I'd be suspicious of the ones that are only 5 cm wide or smaller when fully expanded. There are some nasty Lepiota species that have small caps. Spores look right for L. americanus; good match for Michael Kuo's photo. 

Do these all eventually stain reddish-brown (possibly quite slowly)?

Yes, they stain reddish brownish after 10 to 20 minutes.