Ringless Honey?

ChadRT

4 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Not sure, but I think the species name may have recently been changed. 

There was a paper published in April showing that the European D. tabescens was a distinct species from what we find here in NA.   They proposed the name Desarmillaria caespitosa for the NA version.  I'm pretty sure it was already proposed a few years ago, and this paper is just further reinforcing that a new name is needed.  You can read the abstract here (but not the full article).

Considering most people have not yet even adopted the use of the genus name Desarmillaria for the ringless Honeys, I'm not sure how quickly the use of the new species name will be accepted.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:43 PM, Calvert said:

There was a paper published in April showing that the European D. tabescens was a distinct species from what we find here in NA.   They proposed the name Desarmillaria caespitosa for the NA version.  I'm pretty sure it was already proposed a few years ago, and this paper is just further reinforcing that a new name is needed.  You can read the abstract here (but not the full article).

Considering most people have not yet even adopted the use of the genus name Desarmillaria for the ringless Honeys, I'm not sure how quickly the use of the new species name will be accepted.

Seems everyone on the id boards is already using Desarmillaria caespitosa.  

Right! In a few other discussions I had mentioned a "new species name" for what we have been calling Desarmillaria tabescens here in NA. D. caespitosa. 

I also think that --good grief!-- there may be talk of shifting the Desarmillara species back to genus Armillaria. Has anyone else heard this? 

• 1 year later...