Blewit Success

Last fall I bought some blewit spawn to spread around my house. I stored it until March and then added it to a compost barrel that I had in my garage. In April, I took it outside and started a compost pile on the north side of the house. Today, I found the first of what I hope will be many blewit mushrooms under some juniper trees adjacent to where I planted the blewit laden compost.

post-433-0-33208100-1409846823_thumb.jpg

post-433-0-42134300-1409846866_thumb.jpg

post-433-0-31616100-1409846900_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ladyfish! To my knowledge, they don't grow around my area. I decided the only way to that I was going to eat any was to grow them myself. If nothing else, they help break down compost for the garden.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i started a bed of them last spring. hopefully they produce this fall. i mixed composted manure, fresh hardwood sawdust and some worm casing for a nutrient source. spawn was from mushroom mountain. hopefully they make it. the wood blewits i find up here are much lighter with a purple rim. find them in mixed woods but mostly under spruces. good job by the way.

• 1 year later...

I had some of these appear last year by chance in my yard underneath some small, but closely-planted pines.  They only grew in an area I used as a "biological refuse" area where I put spoiled food and inedible parts.  I've read that these grow in pine duff (like the example here and my area), but one reference to them growing in "waste areas" like mine.  I'm quite curious and this year I'm going to designate three areas where the pines grow with one being left untouched, one being watered (to see if they'll grow with just pine duff), and one area watered and "fertilized" with refuse to see if that's needed or just helps.  A simple experiment.