Is this Hypsizygus ulmarius?

Irina

Someday I will get the lousy "walking camera" charged, the good camera is at home and doesn't like to go for walks. 

So here is the mushroom out of its natural place unforunately ... 

It's a very large gilled mushroom found growing on two live maples in the area. One maple had been severely cut back and this grew near the base. On the other, these grew in a line up the trunk starting about 8' off the ground.

Although stemmed it has a pleasant anise scent like you expect from oysters. The gills are sturdy and the cap is dry.

I'm not too famliar with this even though it seems to fit the description of ulmarius, what do you think?

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

Let me preface with I am not an expert…..but to me the gills look wrong for a true Elm oyster, at least the ones I usually pick do not have decurrent gillls….

I think these are probably some type of oyster, maybe even a different Hypsizgus species…

Oh really interesting. Thanks for all the feedback.

Jeff, I wonder if you are right. Because they were at the same stage of growth on red maples in the same place at the same time (and this area is a bit austere with mushrooms), I leaned toward thinking they were the same, but I definitely see your point. They both smelled very similar, but the first one might be some kind of (very large) "true" oyster and the one with stems might be an elm oyster, or a relative?

1 hour ago, Irina said:

Oh really interesting. Thanks for all the feedback.

Jeff, I wonder if you are right. Because they were at the same stage of growth on red maples in the same place at the same time (and this area is a bit austere with mushrooms), I leaned toward thinking they were the same, but I definitely see your point. They both smelled very similar, but the first one might be some kind of (very large) "true" oyster and the one with stems might be an elm oyster, or a relative?

I think the top mushroom is a Pluerotus species. I’m not sure on the others