Russula/lactarius families, ID request

Irina

From now out I hope to learn to ID more local mushrooms in the families: leccinum ... russula/lactarious aka "white mushrooms" ... and the bicolors and bicolor lookalikes. These are all next-level difficulty families for me :) Of the course the season is almost over so most of this will be next year I guess!

Anyway, here are two white mushrooms from local areas I would like to recognize ... 

#1. Growing in a group of a dozen or so at the base of spruce and along spruce roots. Not milky, but as you can see the gills turn quickly brown when injured. Dry caps. Gills don't flake "like almonds." (So maybe a trich of some kind?) Smell and taste not distinct.

IMG_5514.thumb.JPG.e9a68257ce65e84f5ac46aa4196aba36.JPG

IMG_5513.thumb.JPG.2cf0404d0ec19a61898eede7afb87f4d.JPG

#2. These caps are viscid when young or because of the recent rains. Very viscid. They keep a nice rolled rim until mature. They group in groups of a dozen or so in grassy or more open areas at the edge of the woods. Also not milky. Have a distinct, strong smell which we vairously thought was "candy apple/caramel syrup/maple," mixed with some less nice, industrial smell.  This group was growing at the base of cottonwood, white pine and spruce. The gills do flake on this one.

IMG_5510.thumb.JPG.47829c8d6157a1c6da416f073fbb2999.JPG

IMG_5512.thumb.JPG.a009540eebecb75402252e8ff076a8ec.JPG

#3, I don't have a picture of this one, silly, huh? Maybe someone knows it, though. It's an orange lactarius who grows a kind of green mold pattern on the center of the cap, and bleeds orange latex. The cap rises into a kind of petal formation sometimes, when older. I don't see this often and didn't bring one back in one piece. 

PS, I think this may be Lactarius deterrimus

Thanks for reading!

For #3 it’s important to note the color of the dried latex.  L. deterrimus the latex will dry maroon.  Other Lactarius that have that same general description have orange latex that dries green.  In the US there are several of these orange latex green strainers and personally I have not learned to identify them individually. I call the green strainers Lactarius deliciosus group because that’s the best I can do.  

3 hours ago, rbenn said:

# 2 kindof looks like Russula simillima.

#1 Lactarius volemus stains dark brown.

Thank you rbenn!

2 hours ago, Jeff Falcone said:

For #3 it’s important to note the color of the dried latex.  L. deterrimus the latex will dry maroon.  Other Lactarius that have that same general description have orange latex that dries green.  In the US there are several of these orange latex green strainers and personally I have not learned to identify them individually. I call the green strainers Lactarius deliciosus group because that’s the best I can do.  

Oh, this is really good information, thanks. Next time I will keep one around long enough to be sure what the final color is. I think it might be green, but ...

3 hours ago, Dave W said:

Top two photos are probably Russula compacta. This species has a fishy odor.

Thank you Dave, very happiily these mushrooms were still on the table outside so I was able to get a good sniff. After sitting there for two days they smell like canned tuna left on the counter for 24 hours. Thanks for the ID!