Guess what?

Feral Boy

... It can't warm up to fast around here... still 4 month before morels season...

Here is my first entry from last year; less than a month to go if it warms up.

Mar 10/2010 group of shaggy manes in empty lot East of Vancouver. Unusual weather earlier-warm then cool.

I hear ya !! We went 160 mi. north, looking at some houses and it was in the 50's up there. As always though, we'll get hammered with a few more blizzards.

I know how that can be -- April 2007, we had a VERY warm March, the blacks

started coming out, then a week of HARD freeze in April, which wiped out

everything else.

The earliest I've ever found morels in WA was April 2nd, along Lake Chelan's lakeshore trail. It was in the 80's that weekend. My sister spotted the morels when we stopped for water and rest and we found enough for a good meal. The earliest I've found them in Spokane is mid-April but I know some folks have found them earlier.

I need to check my records, but I think my earliest morel was last year... April 5; a small number of blacks on a warm sunny slope. During the first part of April it got very warm... several days in the 80s or higher, with lots of sun and very little rainfall. This sort of late March/early April hot weather has occurred each spring beginning with 2006. I think it was in the low 90s for a day or two to start April last year. This sort of weather tends to dry/warm the top layer of soil too quickly, and the result is fewer than average black morels. During one year... 2006 I think... it got into the high 80s for the entire week that ended March and began April. Then around April 12 we got this ridiculous cold spell... nights in the mid teens, days that stayed below freezing. The ground froze hard, and there were virtually no blacks in my area that year; just the 4 or 5 five I got on 4/6/06. I'm sure hoping this weird pattern breaks this spring. Not only is it bad for the morels, but when it gets that hot prior to the forest canopy coming in we get lots of brush/forest fires.

The earliest I've ever found morels in WA was April 2nd, along Lake Chelan's lakeshore trail. It was in the 80's that weekend. My sister spotted the morels when we stopped for water and rest and we found enough for a good meal. The earliest I've found them in Spokane is mid-April but I know some folks have found them earlier.

I got my first morels last year on the April 4th and April 11 weekends. About 100 in 2 trips to the Cascades about 100 miles east of Vancouver.

It isn't spring until the frogs in the pond have frozen over for the third time :(

We still have snowbanks along the driveway 3 feet deep with 4 inches of snow forecast for tomorrow. Normally start finding yellow morels around 8th - 9th of May with blacks maybe a week earlier if the rain cooperates.