Tylopilus felleus or other?

Irina

It was suggested that this mushroom is Tylopilus felleus. But, it doesn't taste spectacularly bitter. Maybe a little bitter? Not very. And the stem is surprisingly un-bulbous. Is there anything else it might be likely to be? Not too bitter for slugs to like it, it seems!

UPDATE ... we cooked it up to see if it would get more bitter. I'd say it did become more bitter, but still not as strong as you might expect. It was a long-lingering bitterness, but not so impressive, as you read, that 'a single one of these can ruin a meal." There are Sarcodons that grow around here that I'd say are at least 10x more bitter!

IMG_5485.JPG

IMG_5484.JPG

Looks likes T. felleus. Brown reticulation fits. T. variobrunneus is another species with reticulate stalk, but the cap color is different. T. indecisus can have a reticualte stalk, and the taste is mild. I'd still go with T. felleus for this one. I think maybe the degree of bitterness varies. Actually, I've found a few T. felleus this year that were not quite as bitter as I'd expect.