Jump to content

Could my Chicken of the Woods be contaminated?


baldrich64
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm a very novice forager - I only feel confident in identifying chicken of the woods and morels - and I noticed there were some other mushrooms growing amongst the chicken of the woods I picked today.  Not knowing if these are toxic or not, I'm wondering if I need to be worried about the chicken of the woods having been contaminated by these other mushrooms?  Is it possible for chicken of the woods to absorb toxins from other fungi touching them or growing from the same stump?  I've attached pictures of the other mushrooms here.

Thanks in advance!

0922210832.jpg

0922210832_HDR.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Short answer is no, toxins don't transfer between mushrooms. You have nothing to fear from mushrooms growing near the mushrooms you pick. To be poisoned by a mushroom you have to consume it. It perfectly safe to touch every mushroom. It's even safe to chew up and spit out the most deadly of mushrooms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.