Suillus spraguei

Foulhook

Boy, the woods are absolutely loaded with mushrooms right now. The first two pictures are what I assume are Suillus spraguei. The smaller specimens still had a partial veil covering the pore surface. Caps are slippery. Does anyone have experience in Dehydrating these? I could literally pick thousands right now. 

the last picture is the largest giant puff ball I have found to date.... another heads up is that the black trumpets are also everywhere right now. 

DFECC519-A3F7-4D98-AD1E-C9E1EAB9FF85.jpeg

4C569F87-291E-4B94-9744-A05F32693007.jpeg

C0E983F2-2489-42F2-A582-C564888F4FDB.jpeg

8 hours ago, Dave W said:

I haven't dehydrated S. spraguei. When I find unexpanded young ones I harvest them and use them fresh. A tasty mushroom, probably good dried.  

I'll need to check some Trumpet spots.

Thanks Dave, 

there were plenty of you dear specimens with the veil still in tact or just starting to fall. I’ll go back and grab some of them and try fresh. 

As to the trumpets they are everywhere lately and much larger than normal. I have plenty of regular spots I find them on most years but lately they are everywhere there are oaks at the bottom of a run off wash area. Many of those areas also had hedgehogs a plenty. Trumpets are still in my personal top three edibles. They still amaze me with the aroma and flavor that come from such an unassuming mushroom. 

one of my favorite things to do with them is to make a cream sauce that I then add to mash potatoes.