Gemmed Amanita?

canoehead

Hello,

Let me start off by admitting that these are not the best pics and that I am missing informative pics of the gills, stalk etc. I was on a recent canoe trip (early September) in south east Manitoba close to the Ontario border and came a across a variety of mushrooms . I wish I had taken the time to collect better information but this is what I have. The area was in precambrian shield forest with a mix of conifers and deciduous trees.

At first I thought it may have been the yellow fly agaric with a muted yellow color; but based on the photos from my field book and what I could find around the net I don't think that's what it is. I'm not sure how common the yellow fly agaric is where I was at.

The closest I have been able to find is a gemmed aminita. The younger button has bright yellow with the off-white creamy patches on the cap. The cap looks to be a very light yellow with a bit of darker yellow shading in the center. In one of the photos there appears to be a volva. No good pictures of the stalk but in the background mushrooms in some shots it appears to be a rougher or cottony.

Gemmed amita is just a guess; but any suggestions as to a possible ID would be appreciated.

Thank you

P9080011.jpg

P9080012.jpg

P9080013.jpg

P9080014.jpg

Amanita ID generally requires seeing the entire stalk, which would need to be carefully extracted from the soil.

I think the large pale ones may be Amanita muscaria var. guessowii. The very pale cap color is interesting. Sometimes the yellow pigment on the cap of this species fades, but if you section the cap you see a thin yellow like beneath the whitish outer surface. 

Are the brighter yellow ones the same species? Difficult to say. Not much info to glean from the photos of those yellow ones seen beneath the grass. These past few days I have been in a few places where 4-5 different species of Amanita were growing within eyesight.

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I think the small brighter yellow ones are the same species. They were close by the the more mature ones; but that's no guarantee. I initially thought they were the yellow fly agaric  (Amanita muscaria var. guessowii) because of that yellow color but then had second thoughts when the more mature lost most of the coloring. I did see quite a few of the yellow buttons types throughout my trip. Next time out, I'll take better pics.