Candy caps?

wny_forager

The color may be bad in the kitchen — caps are a nice blend of dark rusty brown, purple, and maroon. Stems are purple. White watery latex. Stem snaps off  

These actually smell like maple syrup so I’m guessing I found candy caps. Anyone familiar with different color candy caps ? I’m finding other fungi the same exact shape but they’re beige, white, brown, rusty, etc   

Western New York — long cold winters, HUMID summers — pine, oak, hemlock, maple, beech, ash, spruce, birch — thank you! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

These look like Lactarius camphoratus, one of the types of "Candy Cap". Mushrooms of this species are small. I have always detected the odor as being like camphor, somewhat pungent. I haven't used this type mushroom as an edible or flavoring component. Maybe I'll experiment with some of these types of mushrooms. L. camphoratus is a common species in eastern NA. 

5 hours ago, Dave W said:

These look like Lactarius camphoratus, one of the types of "Candy Cap". Mushrooms of this species are small. I have always detected the odor as being like camphor, somewhat pungent. I haven't used this type mushroom as an edible or flavoring component. Maybe I'll experiment with some of these types of mushrooms. L. camphoratus is a common species in eastern NA. 

Thanks Dave! I think these maybe too young to properly judge. I do think they are L. camphoratus but I’m reading they are more commonly found in winter? Actually not finding a ton on info on when to harvest them, or even what season they usually pop up in. Maybe a bad research streak, weird. 

7 hours ago, Dave W said:

The "winter" report likely refers to California, and as such a different species of Lactarius than L. camphoratus. Mycorrhizal fungi like species of Lactarius do not produce winter mushrooms in NE NA.

Ahhh I see - thanks!