Suillus granulatus?

bhaas

I believe these are S. granulatus.  Found under white pine where I typically find S. americanus, I placed an S. americanus in the picture as a reference.  All parts of this mushroom are sticky, and have left a stain on my hands the next day.  Cap color is a reddish brown with bright yellow stipe and pore surface.  Stipe has glandular dots.  There was a little latex on the pore surface of these, should be able to see in the pictures.  Cap surface peels incredibly easy.  No staining or bruising of pores or flesh.

Does anybody eat these?  Are they worth the trouble of dealing with the stickiness?  I feel if I attempt to try them I will have to remove the cap skin and pore surface.

IMG_20210912_185507385.thumb.jpg.d944777516cb273c7d0172a709674307.jpgIMG_20210912_185525455.thumb.jpg.3fc89db90c6fb35c99089915e54f70ac.jpgIMG_20210912_185536733.thumb.jpg.239c386ce9de2ae0bf6902a824cfbb21.jpgIMG_20210912_230432503.thumb.jpg.ff80ff479600921e24e4ef4f9ac342ab.jpgIMG_20210912_185459562.thumb.jpg.a47a2e8bccc4eeaa390ed71fde9d27bc.jpg

Looks like the S. granulatus in Scandinavia. It's recommended to pick them young. Then there's no worry about the palatability of pores. Pulling the slimey skin off is a bit of a hassle, though. I've picked and prepared some, but haven't gotten around to tasting. Allegedly it tastes like S. luteus, which is delicious, but firmer. Sounds really good. 

I recommend picking and trying some younger ones if you find them.

The European Suillus granulatus is a different species than what has been called by the same name here in NA for many years. The NA species is now named Suillus weaverae. It is mainly a white pine associate. I believe the European S. granulatus associates with other types of pines.

For at least some types of edible Suillus mushrooms that have the sticky or slimy cap it is recommended that the cuticles are peeled and discarded. This takes a fair amount of work. I usually don't eat Suillus mushrooms (except for S. spraguei which I really like and which does not require peeling). In Eastern Europe it is popular to pickle/marinate Suillus mushrooms. 

Tried these tonight sauteed lightly in butter.  Tasted something similar to what I imagine a slug might taste like.  Flavor wasn't bad, but as far as the texture I won't be picking more.  Maybe a different cooking method would produce better results, but too many other good ones out right now to bother.