Boletus Separans?

Dmitriy

I may have mistaken some of these (and consumed) thinking they were B. separans.  I initially had them segregated due to a slight color difference but after checking with ammonia assumed they were separans.  Luckily for me they are both considered good edibles.  What features distinguish the two, X. purpureum and B. separans? 

Actually, ammonia on the cap of X. purpureum produces a green-flash that's not a lot different from the aquamarine reaction expected with B. separans. The stalks are somewhat different --separans often but not always has at least some reticulations; X. purpureum has a smooth stalk. Separans caps tend to be lighter colored --pale lilac-pink-- and separans caps are frequently wrinkled. The two species are easily confused. Both are edible; separans is generally of better quality (when you get them before the bugs do).