little luck

Finally made it out this year!! I was hoping hens would be early again this year considering it was an extremely cool summer, but no such luck this year. We cleaned up last year on 8/30. Did find a nice pom pom, a few chanterelles and Im pretty sure some honeys. I believe they are A. mellea. If so Im finally going to be brave enough to at least try them .

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Thats a nice haul of mushrooms. I'm kind of in the same boat as you when it comes to honey mushrooms. Hopefully they will show up this year and I'll try some for the table. It seems from what I've read, making sure they are well cooked is important. Please post your experience with them.

Will do John, but think I am going to just boil them and try them to make sure they don't sicken me.

Thanks Dave, I always feel better after you say they're what I think they are!!!

Thanks Mary, I am going to try again next week, its supposed to rain this weekend so hopefully they'll pop and I can get them all before the hordes get to them :)

Well it seems that my local hen spot produced this year even if I was a bit late. Most of this had holes bored through it by black flying beetles, but some was salvageable. Its been raining all night and supposed to through tomorrow so am planning to check my good spots later this week. I wonder if that 15 pounder will be back this year?

IMG_0674.jpg

hey cool...i hadn't seen this post yet. you've got some hericium right up there. is it better baked or sauteed for a first time? i should hopefully find a hen or two soon as well. i haven't picked one in a few years but they usually pop up. have you ever found/eaten a beefsteak polypore?

My favorite meal was chopped pom pom , scallops and shrimp , a little olive oil and put in the grill wok. I never baked it, but have had it grilled, sauteed and pan fried and it was good each way. Its hard to beat any wild mushroom cooked with onions, flambeed in Jim Beam and served over a good steak.

Not a big fan of hens. Yet!!

I found that odd ball orange mushroom the other day, I am keeping an eye on it to see if it turns red, but no beefsteaks yet. Im not even sure if they are a good edible but have seen some list them as choice.

Yesterday I boiled one for 20 mins and give it a try. Twenty four hours and no side effects yet. I have two left perhaps a second trial is in order. It seems silly putting myself in harms way to try a mushroom, but I will admit it was pleasantly surprising. Honeys would be good added to some stew.

Dual.......cut the mushrooms up into cauliflower like florets, sauteed in olive oil/cracked pepper and then finished them off in a little mead/unprocessed honey mix. Used as a simple side dish/topping for some BEAUTIFUL prime filets. I love the end of summer when the local meat becomes available. They'd have been even better in two weeks.

just call local meat producers. you'll be shocked at what you can score prime cuts of meat for, and if you garden and grow unusual things, there's usually good trade fodder as well.

the place where i get my chickens sells them 5$ per carcass. weighs between 4-6 pounds. tastes like you don't even remember chicken tasting, and the folks who operate the farm are stand up folks! . however, we have to cut the head off and pluck them and it's best to have a place to hang them at least over night, if not for a few days. and you get the feet and offal! soup and skewers plus a roast chicken meal!

thanks for your info regarding hericium. it truly is next level dining......so greatful for this find.

If you don't have a taste for hens, try some old fashioned breading and deep frying. They'll melt in your mouth and you'll keep eating them right out of the fryer until you want to puke :)

It might be that I'm a cheap bastard and the hens are one of the best value mushrooms -- you don't need to find very many to last you for a long time, but I've put them on just about everything you could possibly put mushrooms on and prepared them a million different ways and can't get enough.