Yesterday’s Hunt

L. Hygrophoroides harvest from yesterday. So far my first year hunting in central Florida, with a bunch of edible species still yet to observe, I find this species the best. Both for flavor, texture, and abundance. 

Some of these were growing around laurel oak, live oak, and even around longleaf and slash pine. All in healthy rich black loam. Fascinating to also find this species growing in pine litter. Although the needles are browned and fallen, I’ve always thought they were pretty fungus resistant. The loamy soil under the litter is most likely ripe with organic matter/nutrients that the mycelium does well with. Intriguing. 

Also, I’ve noticed at least in the pine/oak forest near where I live, it appears critters are getting to this particular species of Lactarius and eating them. Many other species of mushrooms have been found in this same area, even other not so pleasant Lactarius species and have all been left alone. Curious to find out what is eating these milkys and leaving the stipe. For now I assume the grey squirrels we have here in Florida are #1 suspect.  

C1D7810C-6FA9-4A82-AFB2-5039C239BA91.thumb.jpeg.5e09f6a1bde6fd5eb3bd069915a1bd9f.jpeg

Thanks rbenn. Same here! I thought for sure the latex would have a negative effect on flavor but was fortunately incorrect, IME. Hope to find some chanterelles soon to try though.