2 crazy looking mushrooms

bobby b

How about these 2. They are velvet to the touch. They're in mature stand of beech and oak. Not much happening in other stands I've been walking. Hundreds of what look like cortinarius subpulchrifolius poppin with the beeches. Picked up my first hedgehogs in the same stand. Any ideas what they are? I don't know where to start? Thanks!

post-802-0-01480000-1409097076_thumb.jpg

This appears to be an abnormally formed fruit body of...? The contorted whitish portions are the fertile surface. Bobby, would you say this part looks like pores? Or like spines? My first guess is Xanthoconium affine, a common beech associate. But if the FS consists of spines, then you have a weird Hedgehog. I have seen crazy-abnormal versions of Hydnum repandum.

Or... maybe this is some sort of polypore. How would you describe the texture of the flesh?

Took a couple more pictures & cut a stem in half. It was kinda woody. The white looks like pores in the cross section & the white also looks like a sugar coating. Anyhow, I put it the compost bin. Thanks!

post-802-0-72131900-1409250039_thumb.jpg

post-802-0-65905400-1409250095_thumb.jpg