Identification request for Icelandic (milky)mushroom

Jóhannes

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, so this will be my first post :) 

I stumbled upon this little fellow and when I took a closer look I saw some white fluids coming out of the cap, it also has a milky smell. It was growing close to a pine-tree, in a mossy/grass environment. 

Are these toxic and edible? 

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate the time :) 

IMG_9728.PNG

IMG_9729.PNG

9 minutes ago, rbenn said:

Looks like a milk cap or Lactarius. There are many varieties and some are edible. Depends which variety you have.

Looks similiar to Lactarius helvus.

Interesting, there are many variaties indeed - so I have found. However, the smell, look and the white drops do lean more towards the Lactarius Helvus.

Thank you :) 

Lactarius helvus --at least the ones I find here in Pennsylvania USA-- do not produce a large amount of white latex. On the contrary, L. helvus produces a scant amount of watery latex. One may need to press their finger against the cut flesh in order to notice it. Stem should be fairly thick in the middle and hollow. The odor is quite distinctive, to me it smells like maple syrup. Not sure if L. aquifluus is a synonym or a separate European species. Mildly toxic (despite the inviting odor).

The white latex dropping off the gills seen in the first photo points toward the recently split-off genus Lactifluus. 

19 hours ago, Dave W said:

Lactarius helvus --at least the ones I find here in Pennsylvania USA-- do not produce a large amount of white latex. On the contrary, L. helvus produces a scant amount of watery latex. One may need to press their finger against the cut flesh in order to notice it. Stem should be fairly thick in the middle and hollow. The odor is quite distinctive, to me it smells like maple syrup. Not sure if L. aquifluus is a synonym or a separate European species. Mildly toxic (despite the inviting odor).

The white latex dropping off the gills seen in the first photo points toward the recently split-off genus Lactifluus. 

Thank you - they do smell very nice, but I think I will just keep them for decoration :)