Had my first Matsutake misinformation encounter!!

The other day my wife and I were out on a mushroom walk. Some random guy comes up to us and says, "I'm a little disturbed to see other people in my mushroom spot."

We ended up having a very good chat. He seemed like a quirky nice fellow. We were talking about what we've been finding and he mentioned that he had already found Matsutake this year. I told him that I've never found Matsutake. He proceeded to describe where to look. First off he said Maine wasn't great, because of too much pine. He told me to go south and look for oak dominant forest. Later in the walk, I found a hole dug under a hemlock that was quite close to where our encounter was. Too funny. This made my day. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2021 at 4:17 PM, Calvert said:

Haha, that's hilarious!  Quebec is just north of Maine, and here they grow exclusively in Pine plantations, and to a lesser degree, Spruce plantations.

Down here they’re almost exclusively found in hemlock groves, I speculate because eastern hemlock is the dominant species when soil is sandy.  The traditional wisdom (so I’ve read) is to look for hemlock groves on hills near water with sandy soil.