Oyster Mushrooms

djg

What is "blanching"? I have my own way that works perfectly.

Most Web sources for "blanching" green garden vegetables are so wrong!!!!---usually too long.

I cannot imagine a way to "blanch" mushrooms

For many years, I have fried them to the point that I would eat them and then frozen them.

End result... perfect

Blanching is just boiling them for a couple of minutes and then dipping in cold water to cool quickly before freezing them.  I blanch most vegetables before freezing them, but I always stir fry mushrooms without oil until most of the water boils off, leaving enough water to cover them in the freezer bag.

I never blanched mushrooms. Veggies, yes. Mushrooms I either dehydrate or cook then freeze. If you cook them and can eat them, then they are good for freezing. You can dehydrate them or even better, freeze dry them. I have been looking for a new dehydrator and came across freeze dryer units. Boy are they expensive! ☹️

Dehydration is not a preferred method for preserving Pleurotus. It is said to lose much of its desirability when rehydrated. But, this may be a matter of individual taste. So, if you have a lot of them, then maybe experiment with some different techniques. I generally don't try to preserve Oysters. But, the one thing I have tried that seemed to be acceptable was to prepare them as a main ingredient in a casserole and then freeze the casserole in tightly wrapped single portions (plastic wrap).