Chanterelles

djg

My neighbor was out in his woods 2 hours from home.  He was with a forester and they found a ton of these on the ground.  Individually grouped I believe.  The location in in Central Illinois, USA.  I've never looked for them in the Summer because of the Midwest's heat and bugs.  The biggest one is 6" across.  Do chanterelles get that big?

I tried about a table spoon full in sauted in olive oil about an hour ago.  Quite tasty and no ill effects after an hour or so. My neighbors have eaten these before so I thought they were safe. The next time, I'll try a little more until I'm sure.  Then I remembered the Jack O lanterns I found once and steered clear by the home owner. They were in a clump at the base of a tree.  Can you help me with an identification?

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

9 minutes ago, rbenn said:

Those look like chanterelles to me. Jack O Lanterns have paper thin gills.

Thanks, the neighbors were sure about them, but the responsibility still falls to me.  We had a wet July in the Midwest and only periods of high heat.  Then recently we had a couple of hi 90s which I believe what dried these ones out a little.  Now we're getting more rain the next couple of days, so maybe we'll have a new flush.  I may have to go out to my Morel places and look for them.

I am also in the Midwest but only found small Chanterelles this year. I think your exact species may be the smooth variety or Cantharellus lateritius. As you mentioned most of the mushrooms I have found in the summer here have been bug ridden apart from the Chanterelles.

6 minutes ago, rbenn said:

I am also in the Midwest but only found small Chanterelles this year. I think your exact species may be the smooth variety or Cantharellus lateritius. As you mentioned most of the mushrooms I have found in the summer here have been bug ridden apart from the Chanterelles.

Thanks

Chanterelles grow for extended periods, and in rainy weather they can get pretty large. Note the shallowly veined underside. Cantharellus lateritius often looks like this after it's been growing for awhile. Another trait to check is the interior flesh. Chanterelles have white flesh (unless excessive rainfall caused the pigment to seep in). Omphalotus illudens, aka. Jack 'o Lantern, has interior flesh with a white/orangish marbled appearance. 

20 hours ago, Dave W said:

Chanterelles grow for extended periods, and in rainy weather they can get pretty large. Note the shallowly veined underside. Cantharellus lateritius often looks like this after it's been growing for awhile. Another trait to check is the interior flesh. Chanterelles have white flesh (unless excessive rainfall caused the pigment to seep in). Omphalotus illudens, aka. Jack 'o Lantern, has interior flesh with a white/orangish marbled appearance. 

Thanks Dave for pointing out the differences and the Latin names.  I've been eating them without any ill effects and they are delicious.  Hope my neighbor goes to his farm again (2 hours away) and finds some more.  I do know of a guy's yard where there where some Omphalotus illudens and collect a specimen just for inspection purposes.

bprzyw, Chanterelles are quite common in NE PA. Open sunny oak woods often produce large fruitings of Cantharellus lateritius (Smooth Chanterelle). Mixed woods occasionally produce one or another of the "former C. cibarius" types, but generally not in large quantity. Areas along the banks of small cold streams are good spots to look for a small "gilled" type. 

We have a mushroom club in NE PA that meets once a month in Nanticoke. Forays are held beginning in April and running until it gets too cold. 

Hi Dave, good to know we have a club, I did not know that. I have fallen from my hay mow, so am laid up for a while yet. Thank you. I have not seen them growing anywhere I frequent. Appreciate the info!

On 8/23/2021 at 11:22 AM, Kevin Hoover said:

We just got 8 round bales delivered this morning. I think we are in good shape for now.   That gives me 16 rounds and about 200 of the 50 lb square bales.

Must be an inside joke.  What's the bales (straw/hay?) for?