Chanterelles

simonb

I'm fairly confident these are chanterelles.  Found growing on the ground in the ironwood forest (eastern hophornbeam) roughly 4 ft from the base of the tree.  Strangely the 4 of them were growing in a clump; uncommon for chanterelles.

IMG_2234.JPG

Very thick ridges, also with a lot of cross veining between them.  The interior is solid white, definitely splits easily.  Pleasant smell, but I can't say I've ever detected the fruity smell described for some chanterelles.

A good tell tale is that chanterelles will smell fruity like apricots.  the gills should be more like folds or ridges, you should not be able to bend them over with your finger (The gills) on some occasions you will see chants growing in small clusters like this, usually 4 or 5 max but it is uncommon and more of a trait of the jack o lanterns.  the gills on yours are obviously somewhat larger and more pliable than what i would consider a more standard / common chanterelle, and would give me some hesitation about committing to them being a chanterelles, that being said ive found ones very similiar to yours before here in the Sudbury Ontario area, perhaps there is a certain species of chanterelle in this area like that?   the size and shape color and decurrent gills all point to chants but i would personal stay clear of eating them just as a precaution until someone can shine more light on this.   100% was growing in soil not on wood or buried wood? 

Jack-o'Lanterns or Omphalotus sp. generally don't have forked gills, and their interior meat is light orange to orange.  And they do fruit on wood, whether buried or not.

Here in Washington State, I have harvested yellow chanterelles that grew in clusters, as well as some with well defined false gills such as the ones displayed on your mushrooms.