Wild forager in Raleigh NC

ChefsWild

Mushrooms are more of a side interest for me, and I am definitely still learning. I stick to the mostly foolproof local species and am cautious about others, though I'll take anything unknown or unusual home to spore print and try to key out. I teach gourmet wild foraging and cooking at the Piedmont Wildlife Center in Durham.

Have some pics of my finds this week!

post-827-0-75255000-1408674351_thumb.jpg

post-827-0-87433300-1408674406_thumb.jpg

post-827-0-02390200-1408674442_thumb.jpg

@Cedric, I teach at the Piedmont Wildlife Center in Durham, primarily on the kitchen end, using various wild edibles we forage in class. Sarah Haggerty is the primary educator there, and she is awesome in the field and has taught me quite a lot about the kinds of wild edibles that I can turn into amazing cuisine!

Right now I'm hitting fireweed (Erichtites hieracfolia), shiso, spicebush berry (it's a great seasoning), false and true nettle (awesome ravioli filling), calamus root, passion flower and fruit, unripe black walnuts for flavor tincturing, elderberries (tail end of season!) for my signature elderberry habanero BBQ sauce, American quinine (cocktail tincture), yarrow (shatter fried leaves are a spectacular garnish that tastes like potato chips), cattail, calamus and more. This isn't the best season for foraging anything but mushrooms, though.

• 6 years later...